The CAGC recently learned from Dan Mourning, the General Manager of the New Mexico State Fair, the 2020 State Fair has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Mr. Mourning said, “While we are heartbroken that there will be no New Mexico State Fair in 2020, we remain committed to the safety and well-being of our staff, vendors, and our community above all else.”
We agree. And we agree with the words he spoke in the video on the State Fair website: “Like so many families find themselves doing now, we lean on each other in times of hardship and we’ll come out stronger on the other side.” We add our wish to his – we cannot wait to see you at the State Fair in 2021! While the State Fair is bigger than the Flower Shows, that is the piece that is nearest and dearest to our gardening hearts. We hope that you’ll spend your time in your gardens, enjoying the beauty of New Mexico in your yard.
Mary Noskin, CACG State Fair Flower Show Chair
Irene Kersting, CAGC State Fair Flower Show Co-chair
Shirley Tetreault, CAGC President
Effective Monday May 18th we will be open to the public during our usual hours: 9:30 am – 2:30 pm M-F.
All visitors to the Garden Center must wear masks and sign-in when they enter our facility
For your convenience and safety, we will have disinfecting wipes available in community areas throughout the Garden Center.
Our public gardens will be open M-F from 10am – 2pm – contact the office manager for access. If you are in the gardens, please maintain a distance of six feet or more from other visitors.
Our garden shop will be open during our usual hours. We will only allow 5 people in the shop at a time. We have seating in the hallway, should you need to wait.
Our clubs and societies will be resuming their meetings and events, subject to the Governor’s orders on gathering size limitations and distancing requirements. While we require them to ensure that their members wear masks and maintain social distancing, it will be up to them to make the decisions on what events they hold, subject to the Governor’s orders. Please check their websites and FB pages for details on their plans.
Our facilities will be open for rentals subject to the Governor’s orders. Please contact our office for details and availability.
We will be updating our guidance as the Governor’s orders evolve.
Thank you for supporting our organization.
For more information about cancelled private events, please contact the event organizers.
For more information about Council member organizations event postponements and cancellations, please check the club websites and facebook pages.
We will announce changes and updates on our website and social media feeds as we become aware of them. Phone messages at the Garden Center will be answered between 10 am – 2 pm M-F. We are experiencing a high volume of spam calls so if our voice mail is full, please call back or contact us through our e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The African Violet Society has rescheduled their show and sale for August 1st and 2nd. For more information their website is: http://albuquerqueafricanvioletclub.org
- The 2020 NM Cactus and Succulent Society has postponed their May members only garden tour to 2021. Details may be found on their website: http://new-mexico.cactus-society.org
- The Aril and Iris Society has cancelled their annual iris show. They are planning a virtual event instead. Check their facebook page for details.
- Parade of Gardens has been postponed to June 13, 2021. Follow our posts to see more about this exciting event.
- The Albuquerque Garden Center Executive Board members were so looking forward to hosting the Garden Guardians Summer Camp this year. Reluctantly however, the summer camp program has been postponed until next year. Look for more information about the AGC summer camp 2021 in the coming months!
- State Fair Flower Shows have been cancelled for 2020. We look forward to seeing everyone in 2021.
Some of you may have had difficulty contacting Margaret, the librarian, but she has had technical difficulties with her former e-mail address. Her new e-mail address is email@example.com
Meetings are generally held on the first Monday (unless there’s a holiday) at 4:00 pm.
What we’re reading now. For details on the books below follow the “READ MORE” tag.
6 July: Botany of Desire (movie AND book)
3 August: Rose Rustlers
14 September: Orchid Fever