it Becomes a Garden
WHO WE ARE
The Albuquerque Garden Center is privately owned and operated by the non-profit Council of Albuquerque Garden Clubs, Inc.
The Albuquerque Garden Center building was completed in 1975 with funds raised by volunteers. It is widely known to be one-of-a-kind in the United States, as most garden centers are owned and operated by local government.
The Center houses one of New Mexico’s more extensive horticultural libraries and contains two meeting rooms for classes and workshops. The grounds were renovated in 2003, creating a series of demonstration gardens. These gardens are open to the public weekdays April 15 through October 15. Included are native plant, daylily, rose, cactus, perennial and children's gardens. A bonus feature is the Japanese pavilion that is perfect for ceremonies and memorials.
The Council itself was formed in 1950 to educate the public about horticultural matters and to help coordinate activities of various garden clubs in the area. It is composed of garden clubs, plant societies and other garden related organizations found in and around the Albuquerque area. The building serves as a location for the members to hold meetings, flower shows, educational classes and other activities. It is staffed almost entirely by volunteer members and funded by income received from plant sales, fund raising events, facility rentals, gift shop receipts and donations.
The Center's continued operation and success is dependent not only on the efforts of our volunteers and members, but also upon donations from the public.